My fun hiking / beach look + Starbucks in hand!
The best view
Sea Lion at La Jolla posing for a photo op
La Jolla Beach
View from the bedroom at the Declan Suites
View from the Declan Suites 10th floor
Living room in our suite at the Declan
Majestic Giraffes at the World Famous San Diego Zoo
Beautiful brown bears at the San Diego Zoo
Sunset views at Sunset Cliffs
For our recent trip to San Diego, we were fortunate enough to stay at the Declan Suites San Diego. Staying in the Gaslamp district was probably one of the best decisions that we made. The location was so convenient to everything and San Diego as a whole isn’t too big so even when we choose to Uber instead of walk, the rides were generally less than $10. Hubby’s conference was over by the marina on W street and the hotel is on A street. The distance is exactly a mile, and I know this because every morning I put on my running shoes and walked with him down to the convention center and then ran around the marina and back to the hotel. It was 3 miles total, and the absolute best way to start my morning everyday. I mentioned before that it was cold when we visited which had to be the downside to the weekend, but luckily the only one. Here are a few things we managed to do when we visited.
1. The Zoo – Our concierge at the Declan Suites was awesome and always had great suggestions about what to do and where to go. We took him up on his recommendation to visit the Zoo and he even managed to give us a 20% off coupon, which is awesome because the San Diego Zoo is pretty much a theme park. We are big fans of the zoo in general, but visited one as iconic as this one was just another level. We walked the entire campus and visited each exhibit and then went back and did the entire bus tour. It’s such a great activity for two adults or even a family with children. Highly Recommend.
2. Balboa Park – As tired as we were from a day at the zoo, we knew we had to go see Balboa Park and boy was it worth it. I will say that you can walk there from the zoo and the architecture it just stunning. The park is majestic with Spanish influence and I could tell right away why everyone said this was a must see.
3. Sunset Cliffs – On the first evening we didn’t have concrete plans before dinner so we headed to our trusty concierge and he told us about Sunset Cliffs. A short Uber ride later, we stopped at one of the most beautiful sites I had ever seen. I mean, I’ve watched the sunset in Santorini and it was right up there. This was also the spot that these gorgeous photos were taken.
4. Hash House a Go Go – This came highly recommended to us and the food was delicious. The wait was long for a Thursday morning so you knew it had to be good. We ordered their specialities and my only complaint (?) was how huge the dishes were. Forget 2, four could feed off of just what my husband ordered: The Big O’ Sage Fried Chicken & Waffle Tower. Big O’ was an understatement. Perfect for fueling up, but be careful what you order and make sure you are ready to Instagram when it comes!
5. La Jolla – On our last day, we knew that there was one thing we had left to do: the beach. La Jolla is a prominent beach community in San Diego and we headed up there around 9 AM and spent the entire day there. Between posing for pictures with sea lions (yes, they are really there and there are 100s!) and finding a nice cliff to lay down with hubby and watch the water – the time flew by. We mixed up our day by exploring the shopping in La Jolla, grabbing lunch at Puesto (which was amazing!) and hiking for a few hours. All in all, a perfect ending to our trip.
It was such a great trip and while I wish the weather was warmer, the hospitality and comfort that the Declan Suites San Diego provided made the entire trip worth it. I can’t wait to make another trip down there soon!
Related: Top 5 Things You Must Do in D.C.