As I get older, I’m starting to get a hang of this whole “adulting” thing. Meaning, I need to start a) learning to cook and b) trying to find healthy and tasty meals for myself and my husband to enjoy. I’m all about avocado (apparently, there is an avocado bar in NY that I need to make it to at some point) so this one was a no-brainer. A few months ago I shared my first take on this which was with an open face English muffin as the base (you can see it here!) so this 2.0 version actually adds more carbs! We traded up to a whole wheat 12-grain toast because the grainy texture actually complements this recipe and keeps you full longer. Another new addition? Lemon. #Gamechanger. As always, make tweaks and add in your favorites. I once tried this with sprouts on top – so – freaking – good.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and please let me know if you want to see more food posts on the blog!
- Arnold 12 grain whole wheat bread
- 1/2 a large avocado
- Red crushed flake
- Tanjin seasoning
- Shredded cheese Mexican Blend or Mozzarella
- Toast one slice of bread in the toaster or toaster oven
- Mash the avocado into a large bowl, add in salt and pepper to taste. We use kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper, but you can use the table side version if you don't have those. Add the juice of half a lemon to the bowl.
- Remove the toast and spread the avocado mix over it
- Top with shredded cheese
- Toast in a toaster oven on 200 for 4-7 minutes depending on how crisp you like your toast
- Sprinkle red crushed pepper, tanin seasoning, a little more lemon (optional) over your toast and enjoy!
- Use and type of cheese is optional. You can always customize to your preference!